Herb/Supplement Precautions Prior to Surgery To Avoid Problems with:
Avoid for 2 weeks prior to surgery:
- Cat’s Claw (Saventaro)
- Ginkgo biloba
- Omega 3 Oil, i.e. fish oil supplements, flaxseed oil, hemp oil
- Red Clover
- Vitamin C in doses greater than 4 gms per day
- Vitamin E in doses greater than 400 IU per day
- Cat’s Claws/Saventaro
Avoid for one (1) week prior to surgery:
- Kava Kava
- Lemon Balm
- Passion Flower
- Skull Cap
- St. John’s Wort
- Aloe – may cause low potassium levels
- Ginseng – may cause hypertension and rapid heart rate and may decrease the effectiveness of certain anti-clotting agents.
- Goldenseal – may worsen swelling and/or high blood pressure
- Niacin – may increase liver function tests.
- PC-SPES – may increase the risk of blood clots
- Discontinue use of Aspirin or aspirin products for 3 weeks prior to surgery.
- Consult your surgeon if you are using pain patches or any pain management medication before you continue to take the medication.
- This is not a complete list of medications or supplements that should be avoided before surgery.
- If you are currently taking any medications on an occasional basis, consult your physician or anesthesiologist.
- Anti-inflammatory medications, medications containing aspirin, or MAO inhibitors should also be avoided.
MEDICATIONS IN GENERAL TO AVIOD
- Amigesic (salsatate)
- Disalcid (salsalate)
- Doan ́s (magnesium salicylate)
- Dolobid (diflunisal)
- Pamprin (Maxium pain relief)
- Pepto-Bismol (bismuth subsalicylate)
- Salflex (salalate)
- Trilisate (choline salicylate, magnesium salicylate)